22 March 2008

How wonderful!

"It is wonderful that He created me, and still more wonderful that He redeemed me. Never did our Lord give a clearer proof of His great love for us than in His bitter passion and bleeding wounds on Calvary in our behalf. Truly we are loved, since for us and our salvation the only begotten Son is sent from the bosom of the Father. And if Thou didst not desire to save me, O Lord Jesus, why didst Thou descend from heaven? But Thou didst descend to the earth and didst become obedient unto death, even the death of the cross (Phil. ii. 8). To redeem a servant, God spared not His own Son (Rom. viii. 32). Truly hath God loved the world with an unspeakable love, since for its redemption He delivered up His own Son to be smitten, to be crucified, to be put to death" (Johann Gerhard, Sacred Meditations, Meditation VIII, p. 46).

2 comments:

  1. All of these truths are movingly reflected in Night Prayer in The Liturgy of the Hours. It is haunting to read these thoughts, and I know that I can lie down and rest in quietness. Why? Because the dear Lord who came to earth, died for me, rose -- and is with me now. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Robert. Thanks be to God indeed!

    ReplyDelete